Despite the fact that two NHS doctors have recently died from COVID-19 and that in Italy, who are about 2 weeks ahead of us, at least 60 doctors have already died in the pandemic (not sure what the data is on nurses, medics, care workers etc), NHS bosses are actively gagging and threatening frontline NHS staff.
The Independent is also reporting that bosses are controlling access to equipment and that staff have been reporting that there have already been a number of staff who have suffered consequences…
- A GP has been barred from working in a community hospital in Ludlow
- One surgery was told to remove PPE equipment they self sourced
- Another GP was warned not to speak to the media by their local clinical commissioning group
- An intensive care doctor was warned by Trust bosses at a meeting that their social media accounts were being monitored and then threatened with losing their jobs and careers if they were caught speaking out.
- Another doctor was also told that social media accounts were being monitored and that speaking out about shortages in PPE was “against hospital policy”
- As well as warning staff from posting about shortages on social media some staff have also been told not to respond to requests from journalists.
It would seem, from this, that a Trust’s reputation is far more important to Trust bosses than the safety and wellbeing of their staff, let alone the safety and wellbeing of their patients, very probably because a trusts reputation is likely to have a serious impact on future funding.